Are you NBN™ready?
We’ve all heard about the NBN, but what does NBN™ installation mean for you? How does it affect your existing phone and internet service? Do you need to do anything or can you just ignore it?
What is the NBN™?
The National Broadband Network is an Australian Government funded program that is installing fibre-optic, fixed wireless and satellite infrastructure to replace the existing broadband infrastructure.
Why do you need it?
We all need faster internet. But there are other benefits of using the NBN™ that include:
- Using multiple devices online at the same time without killing the download speed.
- Smoother voice and video calls.
- Reduced buffering when streaming and downloading online media.
- Manage large file transfers with ease.
- More reliable and consistent service that is not as prone to interruption from a weather event.
Do you have to use it?
Yes. If you want to continue to have a fixed phone and/or internet service. Once the NBN™ has been installed in your area, you will receive a letter in the mail informing you that you have 18 months to transfer your existing phone and internet services to the NBN™.
After that time, your existing network services will be permanently cut-off, leaving you with NO fixed-line phone or internet service.
What existing services will it replace?
The only fixed-line phone and internet service you will be able to connect after the NBN™ is rolled out in your neighbourhood will be provided by from the NBN™ network. All of the following services will no longer exist:
- Telstra home/landline phone services (except some Telstra Velocity lines).
- Home/landlines services from all existing companies that use Telstra’s copper phone lines to provide their service.
- All ADSL, ADSL2 & ADSL2+ internet services from all providers.
- Telstra BigPond cable internet services.
- Optus cable internet and cable phone services.
3 Things You Need To Do BEFORE the NBN™ is Installed At Your Home:
- Decide where you want your external NBN™ box (PCD) to be located
- Decide where you want your internal NBN™ box (NTD) to be located
- Choose a service provider
Why do you need a qualified technician?
NBN™ staff will only install their external box (PCD) at the front of your home, which means that they will then install their internal box (NTD) in the room that is directly on the other side of that wall. Why is this a problem? You need your internal NBN™ box to be located in a central area of your home so that your WIFI network will work well all over your house, not just in the rooms at the front.
O’Brien Electrical Yarraville have qualified technicians who can help you choose the best location for your external and internal NBN™ boxes. We can also install any additional cabling on the outside of your home so when your NBN™ boxes are installed, they will be in the best location to provide great WIFI coverage all over your home.
Call or email us today for an obligation FREE quote on how we can help you get NBN™ ready.