In this guide, we delve into five of the most common plumbing issues Australians face and provide detailed solutions to help you resolve them. From blocked drains to water heater problems, we’ve got you covered. We’ve also included expert tips for preventing these issues from recurring.
Blocked drains can cause unpleasant odours, slow water drainage, potential health hazards and structural damage to your property.
- Start by removing any visible debris from the drain.
- Use a plunger to dislodge minor blockages.
- If the blockage persists, use a drain snake or plumber’s auger to reach further down the pipe.
- For stubborn blockages, call a professional plumber for assistance.
- Install drain strainers to catch debris.
- Regularly clean your drain to avoid build-up.
- Dispose of grease and food particles properly, avoiding pouring them down the drain.
- Be cautious with what you flush down the toilet, as only toilet paper and human waste should be flushed.
2. Leaking Pipes & Taps
Leaking pipes and taps can lead to water damage, mould growth and increased water bills.
- For leaking taps, turn off the water supply and replace any damaged parts, such as washers or O-rings.
- For leaking pipes, apply a temporary fix using a pipe repair clamp or plumber’s tape.
- Contact a professional plumber to assess and repair the issue permanently.
- Regularly inspect your plumbing system for signs of wear and tear.
- Monitor your water bill for any sudden increases.
- Consider replacing old pipes with new, more durable materials.
3. Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure can make daily tasks, such as showering and washing dishes, frustrating and time-consuming.
- Remove and clean the aerator on your tap to eliminate any mineral build-up.
- Check your water pressure regulator and adjust it accordingly.
- Consult with a professional plumber if the issue persists.
- Regularly clean tap aerators to maintain optimal water flow.
- Schedule routine plumbing maintenance to identify potential issues early.
- Install water pressure-boosting devices if low pressure is a consistent issue.
4. Constantly Running Toilet
A constantly running toilet can waste a significant amount of water and lead to increased water bills.
- Adjust the float and the flapper in the toilet tank to ensure a proper seal.
- If the problem remains, consider replacing the flapper or the entire flush valve assembly.
- Regularly inspect the toilet tank components for signs of wear.
- Test your toilet for leaks by adding a few drops of food colouring to the tank and checking for colour in the bowl after 30 minutes.
- Avoid using harsh chemical cleaners in the toilet tank, as they can damage internal components.
5. Water Heater Problems
Water heater issues can result in inconsistent water temperatures, reduced energy efficiency and potential safety hazards.
- Check the thermostat settings on your water heater and adjust if needed.
- Inspect the heating elements and replace them if damaged.
- Consult with a professional plumber if the issue continues or if you’re considering replacing the entire water heater.
- Schedule regular water heater maintenance.
- Insulate your water heater to improve energy efficiency.
- Drain and flush the water heater tank annually to remove sediment build-up.
- Set the thermostat to a safe and efficient temperature (around 50-60 degrees Celsius).
Don’t let these common plumbing issues disrupt your daily routine. When you need expert help, trust O'Brien Electrical & Plumbing Coopers Plains. Our team of skilled professionals is ready to tackle all your plumbing needs. Get in touch via our contact page or give us a call today on (07) 3277 7345 to schedule an appointment.