We do NOT sell or disclose your personal information to others for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products and services.
There are some matters to which this policy does not apply. These are referred to in section 7.
1. Personal Information we collect and hold
Depending on the services you require, the kinds of personal information which we collect and hold include:
- your name, address and contact details;
- your credit card and/or payment details;
- details about your vehicle and if applicable, vehicle leasing arrangements;
- for services provided under an insurance policy, including details related to your insurance and insurance claim;
- if you apply for services to be provided on account or if you are a supplier or providing a guarantee – your name, address and contact details and any appropriate financial, licensing or business information. See Credit Information Management Policy;
- if you apply for a position with O’Brien®, potential information collected includes – your name, address, contact details, employment history, educational details, date of birth, tax information, bank and superannuation details, references, emergency contacts, medical history and medical tests, and any other screening tests or assessments.
You are not obliged to give us your personal information and you may choose to deal with us anonymously or by use of a pseudonym. In these cases, we will take reasonable steps to comply with your request where practical, however, please note that you may not be able to take advantage of some of our services (for example, we would not accept payment from your insurer, nor would we be able to provide glazing services to your home) and where we can provide the services, you will need to pay before the service is provided.
2. How we collect and hold personal information
2.1 We generally collect your personal information directly from you via our website or recruitment website, over the phone, in correspondence (whether by letter, fax or email), at one of our branches or when we attend premises to provide services. We may also collect personal information:
- if you are claiming through your insurance – from your insurer or broker;
- if you have a fleet / leased vehicle – through your provider;
- in accordance with any authority and consent which you provide;
- from publicly available registers (e.g. ASIC); See Credit Information Management Policy;
- if you are applying for a position with O’Brien® – we may collect personal information from employment agencies, through publicly available online sources (e.g. LinkedIn); and in accordance with any methods agreed by you during the recruitment process.
If you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able to provide you with appropriate services or fulfil another applicable purpose of collection.
2.2 We may hold personal information electronically or on paper. If you are in contact with our sales centre, calls will be recorded and backed-up.
We take reasonable security measures to safeguard your personal information. This includes implementing data security safeguards based upon generally accepted industry standards to protect personal information from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or loss.
We will destroy or de-identify your personal information if the purpose for which we collected the personal information from you no longer exists or applies.
3. The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
3.1 We only collect, hold, use and disclose personal information which we consider reasonably necessary including to:
- facilitate our dealings with you;
- communicate with you;
- maintain and improve our products and services, quality assurance and training; or
- any other appropriate lawful purpose or if legally required to do so.
- to provide a quote or negotiate providing services to you or an organisation you represent;
- to enable us to provide you with automotive glazing or home/business glazing services;
- to lodge a claim on your behalf and obtain payment from your insurer or fleet/leasing arrangement;
- to conduct appropriate checks regarding setting up an account or engaging you as a supplier, including any appropriate on-going checks; our Credit Information Management Policy may apply;
- to coordinate with our subcontractors who may assist us in the process of providing your services, including our Authorised dealers or other contractors;
- to administer and manage the services we provide including our Statutory guarantees or additional warranties we offer;
- to investigate and manage any complaints; this may involve sharing information with your insurer or person paying your account;
- if you are applying for a position with O’Brien®, to assess your suitability for the position
- we may use or disclose personal information to facilitate our business operations, for example managing our IT infrastructure, databases or website, or for statistical and maintenance purposes;
- a customer satisfaction survey or a survey on how we can improve our services;
- where you have agreed, to send you reminders, promotions or marketing materials.
3.2 Email and Text: We may send you an email, SMS or call you via telephone to verify orders, confirm details of the goods or services requested, and for purposes of communication in relation to any goods or services being provided. We may send you email communications from time to time regarding any technical, administrative or legal notices, our products and service that we consider essential. As these are not commercial electronic messages, you are unable to unsubscribe from these notices.
3.3 Direct Marketing: You consent to us using your personal information to send you marketing messages by mail, email, SMS and telephone about related services which may be of interest to you on an ongoing basis. You can unsubscribe from these notices by following the instructions on the relevant messages or by contacting our Privacy Officer.
4. How you can access or correct your personal information
4.1 We will, on your request to our Privacy Officer, provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you unless an exception is applicable under the Privacy Act. If we refuse to provide you with access to the information, we will provide you with reasons.
4.2 A request to obtain access to information we hold about you will be dealt with in a reasonable time at no charge. However, we may charge you our reasonable cost of providing you with access. We will advise you if any costs are likely to apply before proceeding.
4.3 If any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact our Privacy Officer and we will take reasonable steps to correct this information or, if necessary, we will discuss alternative action with you.
If you have a complaint or a concern in relation to your privacy, please write to our Privacy Officer at [email protected] or
O’Brien® Glass Industries Limited
Unit 1, 45 Davies Road
Padstow NSW 2211
We will always acknowledge your complaint promptly and attempt to resolve your concerns.
6. Disclosure personal information to overseas recipients
As part of our disaster recovery system, some data is backed-up in a facility held in New Zealand. European service providers, from time to time, assist us with providing our services. For example, our customer satisfaction survey is currently managed by a European company on our behalf. We also store personal information on servers in the US which assist us with the automation of emails and other parts of customer service including analysis.
7. Where this policy does not apply
8. Other information
8.2 Our website contains links to third-party websites. Please note that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites and advise you to read the privacy statements of each website you visit.
O’Brien® Credit Information Management Policy (“Policy”)
In this Policy “we” and “us” refer to O’Brien® Glass Industries Limited ACN 000 022 275 and its associated entities, and “our” has a similar meaning.
Credit information and credit eligibility information collected and held by O’Brien®
We may collect and hold credit information about an individual if they apply for or are associated with an application for commercial credit (eg a guarantor under an application for commercial credit).
We may also hold credit eligibility information, specifically credit reporting information obtained from credit reporting bodies (eg Veda). We collect, hold, use and disclose credit information and credit eligibility information for the purposes of assessing an application for commercial credit (including the suitably of accepting an individual as a guarantor); internal purposes related to the provision and management of any commercial credit provided by us; and the collection of any overdue payments in relation to any commercial credit provided by us. We may also disclose information in relation to a default in relation to any commercial credit provided by us.
Credit information and credit eligibility information is held electronically or in paper or hard copy. We take reasonable security measures to safeguard this information. This includes implementing data security safeguards based upon generally accepted industry standards to protect the information from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration or loss. Generally, all credit information and credit eligibility information is held within Australia and we are not likely to disclose such information to overseas entities.
More details on credit information which O’Brien® collects and holds
We collect credit information about an individual from a number of sources, but, most commonly from the individual, Veda (a credit reporting body), trade referees (as provided by the individual) and government agency searches. In many cases the credit information is primarily contained in the credit report which we receive from Veda – for example, our credit application does not request details such as an applicant’s sex or previous address, however, such information may be contained in Veda credit report. The table below provides more specific information on the type of credit information which O’Brien® may collect and hold.
The credit information which O’Brien® may collect and hold includes:
- identification information such as the individual’s name (including aliases and previous names), date of birth, sex, current and previous addresses, the name of employer and driver’s licence number;
- information related to seeking information from a credit reporting body about an individual in connection with an application for commercial credit or a credit guarantee purpose;
- information on the type and amount of credit sought;
- court proceedings information which is information in relation to a judgement against an individual in an Australian court (other than criminal proceedings) which relates to any credit provided to or applied for by an individual;
- personal insolvency information being information about an individual entered or recorded in the National Personal Insolvency Index relating to any of the following:
- a debt agreement proposal given or debt agreement made by the individual or a personal insolvency agreement executed by the individual;
- directions given or orders made under s 50 of the Bankruptcy Act that relate to the property of the individual;
- an authority signed under s 188 of the Bankruptcy Act that relates to the property of the individual; or
- bankruptcy of the individual (except the presentation of a creditor’s petition against the individual or an administration under Part XI of the Bankruptcy Act of the individual’s estate).
- in addition to court proceedings information and personal insolvency information, publicly available information about the individual’s activities in Australia and the individual’s credit worthiness (this would include for example information available from government agency searches such as ASIC searches).
How an individual can access credit eligibility information, seek a correction of credit information and credit eligibility information held by O’Brien® or make a complaint
Credit eligibility information (essentially, credit reports) can be accessed by the individual contacting the credit reporting body. Often credit reports can be obtained for free and we suggest you contact the relevant credit reporting body. For example Veda’s contact details are: PO Box 964, North Sydney NSW 2059 www.veda.com.au. Veda’s website also contains information about how Veda manages credit-related personal information.
An individual can also request access to credit eligibility information from us and we may provide it, subject to the Privacy Act if the individual is able to satisfy us as to their identity. We may charge the individual a fee in relation to providing access to that information, and if we propose to do so, we will advise the individual first. If we refuse to give the individual access to the information we will provide the individual with the reasons.
If an individual believes credit information or credit eligibility information held by us about them is incorrect, they may contact us requesting a correction. In these cases, after we have verified the individual’s identity, we will discuss the request with the individual including any action proposed to be taken by us. To request a correction please contact our Privacy Officer.
If an individual has a complaint or has a concern in relation to how O’Brien® has complied with its obligations in relation to credit under the Privacy Act or the Credit Reporting Code in relation to them, this can be raised by contacting our Privacy Officer. Upon receipt of the complaint, we will determine what (if any) action we should take to resolve the individual’s complaint and discuss this the individual. Please note: we may require the individual to verify their identity prior to us taking any action in relation to the complaint.
How to contact our Privacy Officer
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted by writing to:
O’Brien® Glass Industries Limited
Unit 1, 45 Davies Road
Padstow NSW 2211
emailing: [email protected]
Changes to this Policy
If we decide to change this Policy, we will post changes on this page. You should read this Policy from time to time for changes.