Smoke Alarm Solutions Available Across Brisbane Southside
Installations and Testing
O’Brien Electrical and Plumbing Coopers Plains are your local experts when it comes to installation of smoke alarms in your home.
Having correctly installed interconnected, photoelectric alarm system will help reduced the risk of being caught inside should a fire breakout at your home. Having a correctly installed and reliable smoke alarm system is one of the most effective protective measures for reducing house fires and ensuring the safety of your family.
For peace of mind in your home, get in touch with us for smoke alarm installation and testing in Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan.
Current Queensland legislation required that all residences must be fitted with interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms.
- Be photoelectric and comply with AS3786-2014
- Not also contain an ionisation sensor; and
- Be less than 10 years old; and
- Be interconnected with every other ‘required’ smoke alarm in the dwelling so all active together.
Any existing smoke alarm being replaced from 1 January 2017 must be photoelectric-type alarms which complies with AS 3786-2014
If a smoke alarm which is hardwired to a domestic power supply needs replacement, it must be replaced with a hardwired photoelectric smoke alarm.
In existing domestic dwellings, it is possible for have a combination of smoke alarms (240v and battery operated) and inter connectivity can be both wired and /or wireless.
Qld Legislation required that smoke alarms must be installed in the following locations:
- On each storey
- In each bedroom
- In the hallways that connect bedrooms and the rest of the dwelling
- If there is not hallway. Between the bedroom and other parts of the storey; and
- If there are not bedrooms on a storey, at least one smoke alarm must be installed in the most likely path of travel to exit the dwelling.
Smoke Alarm Requirements
From 1 January 2022:
Landlords: If you are not compliant, you will not be legally able to rent your property.
New dwellings and dwelling being renovated must have photoelectric smoke alarms installed.
Selling/Buying: All homes or units sold must have hardwired, photoelectric, interconnected smoke alarms.
Photo Electrical Smoke Alarms
Photo electrical Smoke Alarms detect visible particles of combustion. These types of alarms are generally more effective across a wide range of fires experienced in homes. They response quicker to smouldering fires and the dense smoke given off of foam filled furnishing and overheated PVC wiring.
- Good for smouldering fire and dense smoke
- Not as prone to cooking nuisance alarms
- Contain no radioactive material
More information is available from Qld Government website. This is the source of our information.
Call the experts at O’Brien Electrical and Plumbing Coopers Plains for all your smoke alarms needs on Brisbane Southside today.