We continue to be available to service your electrical needs. Given the ever-changing situation, we continue to put increased hygiene and protective measures in place to help keep customers and staff safe, including the latest requirements.

Articles / Electrical

What Electrical Work Can I Do In NSW?

12 February 2021

What Electrical Work Can I Do In NSW?

Can I DIY electrical work at my home in NSW?

The simple answer to this is unless you’re a licenced electrician, no. Australia’s laws are very strict for people who want to do DIY electrical work in their home. If you happen to be a licenced electrician, you can work on your own home, but unless you’re a certified professional in this field, you legally need to let an electrician do the work.

The laws do vary from state to state, but the majority of Australian states require homeowners to obtain a compliance certificate from an electrician who has carried out any work which complies with the appropriate Australian Standards regulations.

This is, so it covers you for any defective work, covers you in an insurance claim and let’s face it keeps you safe and protected.

What are the regulations for performing electrical work in NSW?

The law is NSW as stated in the NSW Fair Trading site states; “An electrical licence is required before any electrical wiring work can be undertaken in NSW, regardless of the cost of the work and regardless of whether the work is residential, commercial or industrial.”

Electrical work can be defined as ‘the manufacturing, constructing, installing, testing, maintaining, repairing, altering, removing or replacing any electrical equipment.

This includes:

Basically, this indicates that the only thing you are within your rights to do yourself around your home is change the light bulbs!

Why can’t I do DIY electrical work?

There are some excellent reasons for these laws:

Unlike in the USA, where the electricity voltage is only 110 volts, it is 240 volts in Australia, which is enough to kill you if you are accidentally electrocuted.

High penalties exist as a deterrent for illegal electrical, but they can be as high as $40,000 in fines for individuals and up to $200,000 – or three-years imprisonment if deaths or injuries result from such illegal work.

Home and contents insurance will not cover any damage, faults or fire caused by electricity to your home unless a professional has carried out the work with a current licence.

Faulty wiring is a health and security hazard waiting to happen. It may go unnoticed for an extended period before causing a problem resulting in electrocution or fire, which could burn down your entire home.

If the illegal electrical job is done incorrectly and a fire results, you will not be covered for the loss of your house. In essence, a job that would probably have cost you around a hundred dollars for an hour of an electrician’s time will end up costing you your biggest investment: your home.

Risks of DIY electrical jobs

Even if an electric shock is a mild one caused by a faulty appliance or faulty wire, it can cause these health issues:

  • muscle spasms
  • nausea and vomiting
  • difficulty breathing
  • collapse and unconsciousness
  • palpitations, cardiac arrest and damage to the heart
  • serious and permanent burns to the skin and internal organs
  • related injuries including falls from ladders or scaffolding
  • death
  • fire and explosion

What electrical work can I do that’s legal?

There are few things you can do besides change a light bulb. Here are a few things:

  • Installing low voltage garden lighting and Christmas lights
  • Installing pond pumps
  • Replace a drive belt in a washing machine
  • Change out a blown light bulb
  • Replace LED downlights
  • Cutting openings for air conditioning units but not installing them
  • Fitting an electric wall oven but not connecting it
  • Install a battery-operated smoke alarm

Just because they sell a lot of electrical supplies at Bunnings and other hardware stores doesn’t mean you need to buy it.

Don’t be tempted, head to the gardening or power tool sections instead and let a licenced electrician safely handle your home electrical issues.

O’Brien Electrical Castle Hill are experts in their field. We operate in all sectors of the industry and are licenced professions with a depth of knowledge to help you with any of your home electrical needs.

Contact us today so we can help you with electrical services in the Hills District.


Do you have broken glass?
Call us now on 1800 059 829

For emergency glass repair or replacement in your home or business, speak to one of our experts. We'll discuss options, costs and appointment times.

We'd love to help you, but unfortunately cannot assist with:

  • Cook tops or oven doors
  • Refrigerator glass
  • Light and lamp shades
  • Spectacle repairs
  • Phone or tablet screens
  • Curved glass or tanks

Is your plumbing job an emergency?
Call us now on (02) 9894 4843

Your message may not be seen until the next business day, so if this an emergency job please call us directly now on (02) 9894 4843 and we can get to you as soon as possible

Is your electrical job an emergency?
Call us now on (02) 9894 4843

Your message may not be seen until the next business day, so if this an emergency job please call us directly now on (02) 9894 4843 and we can get to you as soon as possible

Get expert help

Are you sure you want to leave?

Exiting this page will clear your answers.

Sorry, there was an issue saving your booking.

Please try again later.

We are sorry, but that service isn't currently available in your area.

Not available

But we're adding more locations and services to our list!

To receive information regarding new products, services and content from O'Brien®, please enter your email below and we'll be in touch!

Thank you. You will be notified when we are able to service your request.

Thank you for choosing O'Brien Electrical Castle Hill!

You’ll hear from us shortly about your task, and we’re looking forward to getting you booked in with one of our experts as soon as we can.

If your task is an emergency, we recommend you call us on (02) 9894 4843.

Return to website

Where do you need the work done?

Take a minute to tell us about your task.

What do you need help with?

In what type of property is this task?

Would you like mobile or branch service?

Where will the task be done?

Will you be claiming on insurance?

Tell us a few details about yourself

First name

Last name

Phone number

Email address

Tell us your vehicle registration details

Vehicle registration

Vehicle registration state

Is there anything further you'd like to tell us about your task? (optional)

How soon do you need the work done?

By clicking submit you confirm that you have read and accept the O'Brien® Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.