Need to fix a chipped windscreen?
We know time is important to you, so we’ll always assess your windscreen damage to see if we can provide an O’Brien® repair using our exclusive patented Glass Medic® tool. If you have a windscreen chip, it’s important to get it checked and fixed quickly, as it could crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it. Repairing a chip will make your windscreen strong again, and restore the stability of the windscreen to help prevent further cracks.
Contact us online today or call 1800 815 414 to find out more.
How do O’Brien® repair a windscreen?
- Our technician inspects the damage to ensure a successful O’Brien® repair can be undertaken.
- We clean the chip area of as much dust and glass as possible using a special tool. This ensures our resin bonds to the windscreen properly.
- Next, we place our patented Glass Medic® device over the damage to create a vacuum, before filling the chip with HPX4, our strongest ever resin.
- We ensure the resin is pushed all the way through the crack before using a UV light tool to harden and strengthen the area.
- Once the resin is dry we clean and polish the windscreen to remove any excess resin and ensure a smooth finish.
Why can’t all windscreen chips be repaired?
For O’Brien® to repair a windscreen chip it needs to meet specific requirements:
- The chip needs to located at least 5cm from the edge of the windscreen.
- If the chip is in front of the driver (the critical vision area) the whole chip (including all off shooting cracks) needs to be smaller than a 5 cent coin
- If the chip is in front of the passenger, the whole chip (including all off shooting cracks) needs to be smaller than a $1 coin.
Your O’Brien® technician will check all of these items (and a few other technical ones) upon seeing your windscreen and will conduct a detailed inspection to determine if the windscreen is ready for a repair by O’Brien®.
How long does a chip repair take?
We can repair your windscreen in around 30 minutes and you can drive away immediately, knowing our workmanship is guaranteed for the life of your vehicle.
Will repairing a chip make it invisible?
No. A windscreen chip repair is prevents further damage to your glass and restores the structural integrity of the vehicle. While each incident of damage is unique, with most successful repairs, a slight blemish or imperfection where the impact occurred is normal.
What happens if a chip repair fails?
Whilst our expert technicians are highly trained to minimise the risk of a failed chip repair, in some cases the attempt to repair a windscreen can make the chip bigger. This is due to small micro cracks emerging from the initial impact through no fault of the technician. In this rare case, we will credit the cost of the chip repair from the cost of a new windscreen from O’Brien®.
What if I need a windscreen replacement?
If your windscreen chip cannot be repaired our technician will recommend a windscreen replacement:
- We will prepare the new glass and ensure your vehicle’s interior is protected.
- Next, we cut the windscreen seal and safely remove the glass from your vehicle using patented Ezi-Wire technology.
- We apply a primer to the vehicle’s framework and allow it to dry, before applying a strong bonding glue to the new windscreen. This ensures the perfect fit is achieved.
- We carefully fit your new windscreen using our expert 1-Tek® tool. Next, we use a powerful vacuum to clean any broken glass from your vehicle, ensuring it’s safe inside and out.