Pets are considered a cherished part of the family for good reason. All pets bring so much joy to the household, no matter how big or small.
According to the RSPCA, there are currently over 29 million pets in Australia, that’s at least 61% of households and one of the highest percentages of pet ownership per country worldwide!
If you’re a pet owner and proud fur parent, you know how much your four-legged friend loves to venture out and about. Pets enjoy exploring the outdoors as much as they love following you around indoors. However, letting your pet in and out by opening and closing doors for them many times a day and through the night can become tiring and an inconvenience.
A pet door is a simple solution that will allow your precious furry friends to go in and out as they please, conveniently for everyone. In this blog, we’ll discuss the benefits of pet doors and cover some key things to consider when looking for the right solution for you, your pet and your home, which is a pet door in glass.
About pet doors
Pet doors can be made of vinyl, plastic, rubber, or polycarbonate material and come in all shapes and sizes (just like your pets do!). Pet doors come in many types, with loads of different features, and can be installed in either wood or glass (or both).
At O’Brien Glass®, we specialise in pet doors suited for glass and can safely install a pet door into your glass panel at home. View our pet door range here.
Why get a pet door?
Simply, having a pet door is a practical and convenient solution for active pets with busy owners. Pets come with lots of responsibilities and an installing one that fits your home, your pet and your circumstances can be a game changer. Here are a few benefits a pet door can offer.
- Pet doors give your pets more freedom
Most pets love to run around the garden, roll around on the grass or just bask in the sunshine. With a handy pet door installed, they can move around and get back in as they please without disturbing you. Gone are the days of leaving the door open or the constant up and down to let your furry family members in and out.
- Pet doors encourage your pets to be more active
Allowing your pet to enter and leave as they please will help them stay stimulated and not get bored if they are home all day by themselves. Whether it’s a door into their cat enclosure or a door to the backyard, having additional space for your pet to come and go can help add to the daily exercise they need and the enrichment to keep them happy.
- Pet doors help with toilet training and avoiding indoor accidents
One of the major concerns for pets and homeowners are the little accidents that can happen inside the house. Unfortunately, if your pet can’t get out to the grass, indoor accidents can occur. And when they are young, this can be an arduous task of taking them out many times a day! So, giving pets easy access to the outside allows them to relieve themselves at their (and your) convenience.
- Pet doors can reduce your worry
If you’re running around with a busy schedule, you may sometimes forget that your cat or dog is still inside as you head out or they may be outside as you turn in for the night. With a pet door, they can let themselves in whenever it starts to rain or if it gets too hot outside, so they can be safe in the comfort of your home.
- It’s good for the fur parent, too
Having a pet door will save you the time and frustration of having to open and close the door for your pet all day long, not to mention saving on energy costs if you have a heating or cooling system running.
Learn more about pet doors and the range of doors we offer here.
What should you consider when choosing and installing a pet door?
If you’ve been thinking of a pet door for your home, but aren’t sure of what to do next, here are three important things to consider before purchasing a pet door.
- The size of your pet – you need to choose a pet door that will suit your pet when they are full-grown. Make sure you take measurements of your pet (if fully grown) to check they can get through the door comfortably. After measuring your pet, chat to our pet door specialists and they can recommend the best door option from our range.
- Where you want to locate the pet door – The best access for your pet to reach the outdoors is via a door, window or panel. The pet door should open onto an enclosed, secure area like a courtyard, cat enclosure or backyard, and not be visible from the street or passers-by.
- The type of material the door is to be installed in – Pet doors can be installed in wood or glass. Ensure you have chosen the right type of door (not all pet doors can be installed in glass). Also, most importantly, if you want to install the pet door in an existing glass door or window in your home, you will need an expert glazier’s help to install a pet door safely.
This is where O’Brien Glass® can help. We carry a range of quality pet doors that are suited for installation in glass and can provide a safe, tailor-made solution using toughened glass for installation of your pet door. See all you need to know about our pet door range here.
To see what’s involved when O’Brien Glass® help you install a pet door in glass for your home and pet, see our real-life video here:
With O’Brien Glass®, you can now have a pet-friendly entry and exit point for your family’s furry friends set into your glass windows or doors!
Speak to us about a pet door in glass today