Pet doors are a great way to give your furry companion the freedom to come and go as they please. However, installing a pet door in glass is not something that the average DIYer can do. This is because glass is a fragile material, and it is essential to ensure you have the pet door correctly installed to prevent leaks or accidents. That’s where our expert glaziers come in!
O'Brien Glass® glaziers are trained professionals who specialise in installing glass according to Australian Safety standards, which means they have the knowledge and skills necessary to install pet doors in glass safely and securely.
Our glazing experts will assist you in choosing the most suitable option from our range of tried and tested, multi-featured pet doors designed to fit the tiniest fur babies to a larger breed.
After you have arranged an appointment with our glazing experts via phone, our glaziers will take care of the rest.
Here are the steps to getting a pet door installed with O'Brien Glass®
On the first visit, we’ll
- Measure and Prepare: Accurate measurements are crucial for a successful installation. Our glaziers will come around to inspect where you plan on installing the pet door and measure the space to ensure it meets the minimum panel size required for the pet door size to ensure a precise fit. The glazier can also recommend alternative locations for the pet door if needed.
- Ordering: Our glazier will order the new pet door. We then work on creating your custom-made toughened glass panel to the required size (that will also have a cut-out for the pet door). Customizing your new glass panel to your measurements and chosen pet door can take up to 14 days.
About two weeks later, on the second visit, we’ll
- Install the new glass with the pet door cut-out: Our glazier will remove your existing glass panel and install your custom-made toughened safety glass panel with the pet door inserted into it. They will secure the new toughened panel firmly in place to ensure durability and stability, taking the necessary steps to weatherproof the installation to prevent drafts, water leakage or unwanted pests from entering your home.
If your custom-made toughened glass panel requires tinting or film applied, we can also help with that. To read more about the benefits of using tinting and film on glass in your home, click here.
- Testing and Adjustments: Once the installation is complete, our glaziers will meticulously test the functionality of the pet door. They ensure that it operates smoothly, allowing your pets to pass through easily. If needed, they make minor adjustments to optimise the door’s performance.
- Maintenance and Care: Our glaziers will also advise you on how to maintain the pet door. This includes providing instructions on regular cleaning, and lubrication of moving parts, to ensure the door remains in optimal condition for long-term use. We recommend referring to the pet door manufacturer’s instructions that will be included in the pet door box.
Then it’s over to you and your pet
Now you’re all set to start getting your pet used to their new door! Remember that a new door is a new experience for your pet, so it takes time to get them used to using the door. From encouraging them to approach the door to teaching them to push through with treats, you should have them going in and out with a bit of encouragement and patience.
So, remember, if you’re considering installing a pet door in glass in your home, it’s important to hire a professional glazier. They will ensure that the installation is done correctly and safely using toughened glass, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your pet door is secure, and your family and pet are safe.
- To see a pet door install in real-life, check out our video here
- For more information, including our range of pet doors, click here
Speak to us about an O'Brien® pet door in glass solution today!